This department addresses the issues of climate change and coordinates the implementation of regional and international environmental agreements.
The department’s main functions include:
- Developing national capacity in Clean Development Mechanisms (CDM)
- Assuring the secretariat of the Designated National Authority under the Kyoto Protocol’s CDM,
- Coordinating the preparation and implementation of policy, strategy and regulatory frameworks and instruments towards mitigation and adaptation of the country on climate change.
- Advising on opportunities and emerging issues related to climate change and climate change responses measures.
- Coordinating implementation of Multilateral Environmental Agreements and other International Environmental Obligations.
- Provide technical input in negotiating and implementing regional and international conventions, protocols and treaties relating to environmental management.
- Initiate and coordinate the drafting of the national reports and assess convention decisions and recommendation to update the plan by integrating those that are relevant
- Provide technical advice related to Global Environmental Facility endorsement of projects.