Under supervision of the Ministry of Natural Resources, from the Law n°63/2013 of 27/08/2013 determining the mission, organization and functioning of Rwanda Environment Management Authority (REMA), REMA reserves the legal mandate for national environmental protection, conservation, promotion and overall management, including advisory to the government on all matters pertinent to the environment and climate change.
Mission of REMA
To promote and ensure the protection of the environment and sustainable management of natural resources through decentralized structures of governance and seek national position to emerging global issues with a view to enhancing the well-being of the Rwandan people.
All sectors of the Rwandan Society value and undertake sound environmental management and rational use of natural resources in order to contribute to the national aspirations for sustainable development.
Responsibilities of REMA
As stipulated in the Law N° 63/2013 of 27/08/2013 determining the Mission, Organization and Functioning of Rwanda Environment Management Authority (REMA), REMA has the following main responsibilities:
- To implement Government environmental policy;
- To advise the Government on policies, strategies and legislation related to the management of the environment as well as the implementation of environment related international conventions, whenever deemed necessary;
- To conduct thorough inspection of environmental management in order to prepare a report on the status of environment in Rwanda that shall be published every two (2) years;
- To put in place measures designed to prevent climate change and cope with its impacts;
- To conduct studies, research, investigations and other relevant activities in the field of environment and publish the findings;
- To closely monitor and assess development programs to ensure compliance with the laws on environment during their preparation and implementation;
- To participate in the preparation of activities strategies designed to prevent risks and other phenomena which may cause environmental degradation and propose remedial measures;
- To provide, where it is necessary, advice and technical support to individuals or entities engaged in natural resources management and environmental conservation;
- To prepare, publish and disseminate education materials relating to guidelines and laws relating to environmental management and protection and reduce environmental degradation risks;
- To monitor and supervise impact assessment, environmental audit, strategic environmental assessment and any other environmental study. REMA may authorize in writing, any other person to analyze and approve these studies.